Pages

Friday, January 27, 2012

The One Where I Talk About Transparency


First, I read this verse

2 Corinthians 12:6b The Message (MSG)

"I don't want anyone imagining me as anything other than the fool you'd encounter if you saw me on the street or heard me talk."


On the same day, I read this quote from an interview with Debbie Macomber (from her new book One Perfect Word)

"Q. One Perfect Word examines your spiritual development and growth from a deeply personal perspective. In many cases you share excerpts from your journals. In the course of writing this book, how did you feel about sharing such intimate details with your readers?

A. I don't have a problem with sharing my humanness. I am flawed. I want my readers to understand that I am genuine and sincere and far from perfect. When I share my struggles, my weaknesses, with my readers, it helps them know my heart. If they know my heart, then they will recognize my faith and hopefully that will show them the path to God and His love."

I think that's the key-- being real, being transparent, talking about the ugliness that is our humanity sometimes. I'm trying to do more of that here on the blog. Showing who I really am, sharing the stuff that might be easiest to just hide away. Even going so far as to include my own personal journal excerpts here like Debbie did in her book. It feels raw and exposed and weird at times. But it also feels good-- to not hide behind these perfect posts, to not dress up my ugliness and put lipstick on the pig, so to speak. To just say, here's who I am and here's what I'm thinking or struggling with or wondering about-- and not always even arrive at a solution. To just say I'm feeling this, in case you're feeling it too.

Based on what Paul and Debbie had to say, none of us are alone. Maybe like me, that brings you a strange sort of comfort.
Pin It!

4 comments:

She Will Move Mountains said...

I've always tried to be transparent on my blog, but I've felt the tug to write posts that are even more transparent on my blog lately. It's nice to open a vein, and know that you are not alone.

Wendy Bello said...

I can totally relate. And that's what I've been trying to do too...prompted by Him, trust me.

Arlene G said...

I am so glad you are back to "just being you" Marybeth. I always enjoy hearing your thoughts and I think transparency is the key to any relationship. I have a family member who I have always had a hard time relating to because she likes to pretend that all is Perfect at her house. Recently she shared some things with me that really helped me to feel empathy for her...and it made me feel closer to her as well. I think if more of us would share our "realness" it would help others! We are all on a journey...

Thumperkin's musings said...

Thanks for returning to this format. I am not a writer. I am a nurse practitioner who is choosing to stay at home for a season with my 4 kids. I love reading blogs that discuss the triumphs/struggles/life of Christian moms. Take care and God bless.