Pages

Tuesday, January 10, 2012

The One Where I Say More About The Blog's New Direction


This quote further talks about what I think I need to do with my blog from here on out:




…here’s the secret I wish someone had told me back when I would get apologetic
for being a “web diarist” or an “online journaller” or a “crazy person who
writes about herself on the internet”: when you’re really liking what you’re
writing, and you’re having fun doing it? That’s probably because you’ve found
your voice. You’ve found your connection with the words and the stories. There’s
an audience out there hungry for someone who knows how to use her voice. Don’t
stifle it because you think you’re supposed to be… what?

(quote came from this post)

I want to like what I'm writing. I want to have fun with it. I want my voice to come through again-- not some voice that sounds like I think I'm supposed to sound because it's what I somehow became convinced I was supposed to sound like. I don't want my blog to be safe, and I am afeared that that's what it's been for quite some time now. Safe. Don't rock the boat. Don't offend anyone. Don't say what I'm really thinking because someone might not buy my books any more. Just write my little banal, milquetoast posts within these banal milquetoast parameters that will contribute continuous content (ah, alliteration I do love you so) without ruffling feathers.

So this is me, stopping all that. I might post three times in one day if three amazing things pop into my brain and I've got that kind of time. And I might go silent for a bit if nothing remarkable presents itself. Or I get real busy. Cause that happens more than I like.

And yes, I do plan to continue these Friends-style titles. Because I like 'em. They make me smile. And I hope they will make you smile and not eventually bore you to tears. Because once I thought that my clever little categories for each day was GENIUS. So clearly, things change.

Oh, and I will make you one more promise. I will try to make each post short. Brief quotes. Links to good stuff. Things like that. I will refrain from pontificating unless it's just absolutely necessary. Because none of us have that kind of time or inclination. We have shorter attention spans now, haven't you heard? But know this, if I post it, it's because it matters to me. And I hope it matters to you.
Pin It!

12 comments:

amy said...

YEAH!!!!!

sounds like a great plan...

JottinMama said...

I love this.

So awesome....looking forward to your posts.

- Kate :)

BethA said...

Pontificate as needed. Sometimes a little is enough, sometimes more is needed. Go for it! We are with you, Marybeth! Your hungry audience awaits. Blessings!

Mitzi M. said...

Sounds like a plan. I'm all about whatever works for you (and your family)... and that can change. I'll just be here... waiting to hear from you... whenever you feel like it!

Zibilee said...

I think that your new ideas sound exciting! Who wants safe and milquetoast when you can have real opinions that spur honest reflection and reaction? I am excited to see what pops up over here. It promises to be enticing :)

Kim said...

You go girl!!!

Anonymous said...

I love this!!! And I love that you are grabbing the bull by the horns and doing what is best for you and your family! I look forward to reading what is to come with fun, friendly titles!!!

Sharon said...

You go girl!! :)

Heather said...

This sounds great to me!

Kat said...

Love this! And really needed to read these thoughts. Let the boat-rocking begin!

Anonymous said...

I haven't read your blog that long, but since you are writing it make it the way you want it to be! Have fun with it.
Martha T.

Anonymous said...

THANK YOU FOR BEING REAL! Actually, you were an answer to prayer I have needed this week. Don't know what brought about all this change in perspective but I LOVE IT! I also think all your readers will too!
Many Blessings!
Amy