Pages

Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Psalms For Moms


Psalm 16:7, "I will praise the Lord, who counsels me; even at night my heart instructs me."

My devotion today is on accountability. I shared about how accountability (advice and counsel) from others has helped me tackle tough issues in my life. But I didn't share about how receiving counsel from God also helps me when I am struggling with issues.

I love this particular psalm, because it talks about how God often uses the time we should be sleeping to walk us through issues. In the dark quiet we can rehash conversations, examine relationships, and pray fervently, with-- hopefully-- no interruptions.

My Bible note says, "Sleepless nights provide opportunities for instruction (facing hard facts)." The next time you struggle with a sleepless night, try thanking God for the counsel He is trying to give you. Listen instead of lament about lost sleep. Say what Samuel said, "Speak Lord, for your servant is listening." (I Samuel 3:10) We all say we'd have a better walk with God if only we had more calm and more quiet. What better time to talk to Him than in the middle of the night when we have exactly that?

Accountability from other people is wonderful. But direct counsel from the One who made the universe is irreplaceable!

Psalm 73:23-24a, "Yet I am always with you; you hold me by my right hand. You guide me with your counsel."
Pin It!

13 comments:

Unknown said...

I agree! Accountability from another believer is great, but guidance from our Father is irreplaceable!

Bonita said...

I have to chuckle about this one. As one who's wrestled insomnia for over a year, I'd say I must have a lot of "hard facts" to face or else I'm just not getting it! I love hearing God in the night, but sometimes I wish He would speak during the daylight hours. haha

Anonymous said...

Now I know that it is God talking to me when in the middle of the night I wake up and I cannot go back to sleep. At that time I find myself expressing sorrow for something I either said or done and asking for forgiveness. Psalm 16:7 is for me, that's my word from God. Thank you for your devotion and I love the words you use for accountability.

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed being reminded that there are times when God wants to speak to me. I have wrestled with insomnia from time to time and I can tell in those times are spirit is not settled. I go, go, go from the moment I wake until I lay to go to bed and I guess it is safe to say there are times when God is trying to speak to my heart and that is the only way to get my attention. Thank you for reminding me to listen when He is speaking.

Pam said...

Loved your devotion today about accountability. Even shared it with my husband. I know I sometimes like to sidestep accountability because I don't always want to hear the truth about an issue. Thanks for the reminder of just how beneficial and important it is in our lives.

Anita - Soaring Eagle said...

I too loved your devotion about accountability - especially the part you said about "junk food" - I have so been there! I think the next time I go to a Pot Luck, or a gathering - I will ask someone to hold me accountable. My husband holds me accountable other times. Thank you for this post!!!

Debra said...

Thank You Marybeth!
Hugs, Debra

Unknown said...

Thank you for this reminder Marybeth!! Now I know why there are many nights that I lay awake...God is trying anything he can to get my attention...God Bless....

Anonymous said...

Tears puddled in my eyes as I read your devotion. It spoke so directly into my life right now and confirmed and clarified what I believe I'm supposed to be doing going forward. Thank you for this sharing, it was beautifully written and just what I needed to hear (read). :)

Our Girls said...

Loved reading Psalm 16:7 at the beginning of your post!

Jenny said...

So how do I find someone to help me with accountability? How did you find Ariel?

Marybeth Whalen said...

Ariel came to me as a true gift from God when I least expected it. Pray for God to send you that person and I believe He will!

Anonymous said...

Accountability truly a gift.